There were a lot of things to celebrate at our Club Forum last week. This gives you a snapshot of what our Club does and how we are a vital part of Washington, Southeast iowa, and even the global community.
Thanks to Club President Becky Patterson for leading us through this discussion.
- Hosted the annual Turkey Dinner in September with about 100% participation. This is our biggest fundraiser with about $4,170 profit. Scholarships from the club, and many other donations are possible because of this fundraiser.
- Manned the County Fair gates in August. The Club received $1000 from the Fair Board for our services.
- Fundraiser at Unc & Nephs
- Sponsoring a Rotary Exchange student from Austria - Hannah Purner!
- Received a matching grant from RI ( $2500 from the club and $2500 from RI ) to place a "Waterfall" in the garden at Washington High School (in the former Jr. High)
- Sent a student to RYLA - Kyle Basten
- Our club has a 100% participation in the Rotary International Foundation!
- Our club donates a children's book to our Library each month. We invite our weekly speakers to sign that months book.
- Donated $500 to Polio Plus
- Donated $100 to the District Youth Fund
- Four Club members attended Fall Training in West Liberty
- Two Club members attended the Zone 28-29 meeting held in Pittsburgh
- Donated $500 to the YMCA for its Annual Sustaining Campaign toward their $75k goal. (see the banner in the gym)
- Have voted to give the proposed Washington High School auditorium $10,000 over 4 years, contingent upon a District 6000 grant. Their goal is $7 million!
- Contributed (with other service clubs) for the replacement computer projector in the YMCA Y's Men Room
- Helped pay for a Blood Drive poster, and sponsored a successful annual Blood Drive
- Donated $480 to FAMSCO/MOST (Miles Of Smiles)
We also are working on a new fundraiser to sell Daffodils in the Spring with proceeds going to the American Cancer Society drive and to our Club.
Also, the Christmas Committee is meeting this week to decide on a Club project for Christmas.
On Sunday, Dec. 1, we rang the Bells for the Salvation Army at HyVee. Participants: Gary Murphy, Hannah Purner, Katy Wellington, Susan Wellington, Emily Johnson, John Thorn, Phillip Rabinowitz and Becky Patterson. We really lucked out with beautiful weather
|Phillip Rabinowitz and John Thorn work the kettle on Sunday afternoon at HyVee|
UPCOMING PROGRAMSDecember 5 - Craig Davis, TBA
December 12 - Denise Erpelding, Hannah Purner!
December 19 - Bob Wollengerg, TBA
December 26 - Rob Negrete, TBA